[Foundation-l] "Vital Articles" underperforming?

Yaroslav M. Blanter putevod at mccme.ru
Sun Dec 4 18:22:32 UTC 2011

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia_talk:Featured_article_candidates#FAC_spends_too_much_time_on_trivial_topics

> about the fact that many featured articles – at least on en:WP – are
about
> niche topics, while so-called "vital articles" (VA), i.e. core topics
that
> any encyclopedia would be expected to cover well, are underperforming,
with
> comparatively few making FA or GA. Looking at the VA list,
>

> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:VA
>
> topic areas like philosophy, languages and social sciences seem to be
doing
> particularly poorly.

Whereas it is an important issue, I believe it can only be resolved by
wikiprojects who can compile their priority lists and collectively work on
the most important articles. At some point, about three years ago, I tried
to organize in Russian Wikipedia an umbrella wikiproject cross-project work
on VA. It was never a success.

Cheers
Yaroslav