[Foundation-l] Wikipecies charter

John Vandenberg jayvdb at gmail.com
Sat Dec 3 22:33:50 UTC 2011

https://species.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikispecies:Charter was created in
September 2004‎ with:

---
As quoted from Jimbo Wales:

"As you know, the creation of this project was somewhat controversial
in some quarters, and so I propose an early development of a strong
non-forking policy guideline here, illustrating how wikispecies
significantly differs from articles that would appear in a general
encyclopedia.

Here are some of the key points that the board put forward when we
approved this project:

We set up the WikiSpecies wiki for biologists to begin organizing the project.

We propose that as the software is developed, it should work to
strongly support integration with wikipedia, to help avoid duplication
of effort, i.e. to avoid forking.

We ask the participants on wikispecies to particularly think about how
their work should differ from a generalist encyclopedia."
---

Does anyone know where this Jimmy quote comes from?  I presume it is
after the WMF board meeting on 5 September 2004 as it quotes from it

http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Meetings/September_5,_2004
(created 26 September 2004‎)

I think the Wiki "charter" needs to be made a bit more .. err .. like
a charter.  It is linked to from the Wikispecies about page

https://species.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikispecies:About

--
John Vandenberg