[Foundation-l] Image filter brainstorming: Personal filter lists

Jussi-Ville Heiskanen cimonavaro at gmail.com
Thu Dec 1 18:18:32 UTC 2011

On Thu, Dec 1, 2011 at 8:33 AM, Tom Morris <tom at tommorris.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 1, 2011 at 03:34, Jussi-Ville Heiskanen
> <cimonavaro at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> While I don't find that line of argument to be a fully fledged
>> straw-horse argument, it
>> does appear to me to be a cherry-picked argument to *attempt* to
>> refute. There are
>> much stronger arguments, both practical and philosophical, at any
>> attempt to elide
>> controversial content. Even as such, I am not convinced by the
>> argumentation, but
>> would not prefer to rebut an argument that does not address the
>> strongest reasons
>> for opposing elision of controversial content, by choice or otherwise.
>>

> My point was not to provide an argument for or against any particular
> implementation. It was a response to one particularly god-awful
> argument.

"So, if you wanna make censorware, it’s gotta be pretty damn strict.
And you’ve also got to keep the false negatives down for PR purposes
because otherwise snarky people will relentlessly mock you. Oh, and
you’ve got to keep your lists secret because this is capitalism and
competition requires secrecy. And if you leak the list, people will
start poking around on those websites."

Happily enough, if you want to use faulty rhetoric, people will also
make fun of you.

You just successfully jumped over the shark like a half a dozen times.

It isn' one incidence, it isn't a class of incidences. Take it on board that the
community is against the *principle* of censorship. Please.