[Foundation-l] Board resolutions on controversial content and images of identifiable people

DGGenwp at gmail.com DGGenwp at gmail.com
Sat Aug 27 08:04:27 UTC 2011

I am not sure if your wording implies that I am being excessively negative
or skeptical. But yes, I very definitely think it should be resisted at
every stage of implementation. What else can we do, if the people who
should be providing services to us, try to run things for us. the community
is sometimes wrong; the board is sometimes right. I would rather go wrong
with the community , than right with the board.T, there is no other way of
preserving the values of independence and spontaneity which are the essence
of our projects. The distinctiveness of Wikipedia is that we are a
community-directed project, and no person or group--even groups of our own
choosing-- has the authority to lead us. There are no doubt limitations of
what such a mode of organization can achieve, but we are here to see how
far we can get with this way of working; we have already gotten further
than anyone could have predicted, and perhaps we can get much further. I do
not have the knowledge to formally speculate about social organization. But
what I do know is that we have an idea, and we should pursue it as far as
it can take us. Perhaps conventional wisdom is wrong, and we can maintain
ourselves as we originally intended. The idea is very simple, and classic:
trust the community; trust each other; do not trust any organized group
withing us or speaking for us.