[Foundation-l] [libraries] Open Access EU consultation

Andrea Zanni zanni.andrea84 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 26 16:47:06 UTC 2011

[sorry for cross-posting]

I wanted to remind you all that the deadline of the European
consultation on Open Access and Open Data is September 9th.
Here's the link:
http://ec.europa.eu/research/consultations/scientific_information/consultation_en.htm

and here's the survey on Meta:
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/RCom/OA/EU

Daniel is working on that, but feedback could be useful.

Here my few cents about some proposals we could make in the comment
sections ofthe survey:

1. We need strategies/policies for OA. We need institutions/university
to *require* OAfrom doctoral students and researchers.
2. We need digital preservation to be done by libraries and archives,
not publishers. They have right now the functions and services
(access, dissemination, preservation) that should be accomplished by
libraries. Preservation is an issue.
3. We need clear, easily understandable licenses.
CC-BY for articles and CC-0 for research data should do their job.
No more ad hoc, human-not-understandable licenses, but clear Creative
Commons. (CC-BY= we can use that on Wikipedia, we can upload it on
Commons, we can publish it on Wikisource, we have material for
Wikibooks/Wikiversity, etc.)

I hope this can be useful.

Aubrey