[Foundation-l] Wikilovesmonuments

Lodewijk lodewijk at effeietsanders.org
Fri Aug 26 12:40:41 UTC 2011

Hi billy,

thanks for your attention. Wiki Loves Monuments is being organized by
several chapters in over 15 countries in Europe. The main page for that is
indeed www.wikilovesmonuments.eu . The Wikimedia Foundation is not involved
in organizing the events, nor is it responsible for its websites - this is
one of the projects run by chapters.

Unfortunately, it is not affordable to register every possible domain which
might be hijacked. We were aware that there would be a risk for that, and
that potentially, this could be organized in even many more countries. We
did choose to register wikilovesmonuments.org (registered by WMDE) but
didn't register the .com - we had to draw a line somewhere.

For a possible intercontinental contest, we would have to rely on the .org
domain.

Lodewijk