[Foundation-l] We need to make it easy to fork and leave

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Tue Aug 16 08:18:26 UTC 2011

On 16 August 2011 09:06, Domas Mituzas <midom.lists at gmail.com> wrote:

> Anyway, we should definitely build something like that, just don't pay attention to suicide rate.

:-) I am quite cognisant that the likely number of people wanting to
build a full fork of Wikipedia may well be *zero*. I apologise if I
have given any of this the sound of urgency. I am saying, however,
that forkability is an important right thing, a guard against
disasters and a good way to keep ourselves honest. And a lot (if not
all) of what it requires is stuff we really should be doing anyway.

(BTW - we *do* have someone making sure the Internet Archive - or a
similar organisation, if there are any similar organisations - has a
full collection of all our backups, so if Florida was hit by a meteor
tomorrow people would have something to start from?)

- d.