[Foundation-l] We need to make it easy to fork and leave

George Herbert george.herbert at gmail.com
Fri Aug 12 19:59:37 UTC 2011

On Fri, Aug 12, 2011 at 12:53 PM, geni <geniice at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 12 August 2011 20:24, George Herbert <george.herbert at gmail.com> wrote:
>> We still have wide gaps in knowledge coverage.  Not in the most common
>> areas, but in many specialized areas, where they're not heavily
>> geek-populated.
>>

> Yes but those don't have much to do with normal applications of encyclopedias.

Sure they do.  The question is what coverage you want in the encyclopedia.

You may not be a construction guy, but wouldn't it be useful if you
could say "Hmm, what are those standardized 1.5 inch square open metal
channels used everywhere in construction?" and find [[Strut channel]]
on Wikipedia.

And a few thousand other construction things I haven't had time to add, yet.

And engineering.

All these specialized things are encyclopedic, and matter in the
world, even if they're not geek-significant.  There's no reason not to
define encyclopedic as inclusive of topics such as these.

--
-george william herbert
george.herbert at gmail.com