[Foundation-l] Chapters

Delphine Ménard notafishz at gmail.com
Tue Aug 9 15:01:24 UTC 2011

On Tue, Aug 9, 2011 at 4:46 PM, Kirill Lokshin <kirill.lokshin at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm not suggesting that the success of the fundraiser isn't due in large
> part to broad community involvement; my assertion is that this community
> involvement would take place whether or not a formal chapter was involved.
>  I would assume that the volunteers who contributed to the effort presumably
> did so because they believed in the goals of the project and the need to
> raise funds to support them, not because their particular chapter stood to
> collect a large sum of money in the process?

I think it differs depending on the chapter, the culture et al. Of
course I assume as you do that all people involved in the effort do
believe in the goal of the Wikimedia projects.

But having talked about this with many chapter volunteers, they have
also done it because as chapter volunteers, they feel even more
responsible to make sure the donors were addressed in the right way.
Pleasing a thousand donors (or 10 000) is a whole different ball game
in terms of incentive as pleasing one big donor.

My observation in how chapters have developped across the board is
that you can grossly find two different kind of chapters:
* those for whom fundransing and all the administration that goes with
it is a hassle they don't want to get up entangled with
* those for whom fundraising directly is a way to refine their local
messaging (and hence activities that ensue), a motivation to do better
(get organized and more professional, in all areas of a chapter's
activities), take on responsibility and accountability (handling
donors is difficult, but extremely rewarding as they come back the
year after).

Having followed closely the development of Wikimedia Germany for the
past 5 years, I know for a fact that handling fundraising is a big
part of the succesful growth of that chapter.

Whatever path the chapters want to take (fundraising or no
fundraising) is fine with me, for the record. I am convinced that
doing your own fundraising is an essential part of organisational
growth.

Delphine

--
@notafish