[Foundation-l] The problem with Incubator: An interactive journey

M. Williamson node.ue at gmail.com
Tue Aug 9 00:49:13 UTC 2011

I have a feeling very, very, very few French speakers find the French
Wikipedia through that route. Most people probably find a Wikipedia in their
language at http://www.wikipedia.org/ if they don't already know the URL. I
doubt many speakers will google "Central Atlas Tamazight Wikipedia" in
English like that. I think there are probably also some who find it on a
main page of a larger wiki, or notice it in the interwiki links of an
article they're reading (however, as the number of interwiki links at each
article grows, this option becomes less likely).

So of course none of these mechanisms allows for someone to find Incubator.
http://www.wikipedia.org/ should have a prominently-placed link for people
whose language is not listed (not sure how to do that language-neutrally
though), allowing them to look for it at incubator, and if it's not there,
direct them to a USER FRIENDLY request system (our current one is not) so
they can request a new wiki in their language and start working on a
testwiki.

Main pages of projects should also link to incubator just like they link to
Wikiquote, Wikisource, Wikispecies, etc., if not placing the link even more
prominently than that.