[Foundation-l] Pending Changes development update: September 27

Keegan Peterzell keegan.wiki at gmail.com
Tue Aug 2 19:02:14 UTC 2011

On Tue, Aug 2, 2011 at 12:23 PM, Dan Rosenthal <swatjester at gmail.com> wrote:

> IMHO it worked just fine, but there were too many restrictions on when it
> could be used. So actually…Mono is right, it was doomed to fail from the
> beginning, regardless of its merits.
>
> -Dan

It's the problem of the English Wikipedia not knowing what it wanted aside
from knowing it wanted something.  Some wanted stable revisions (an approved
form of an article), others wanted protection but editable, others wanted
enhanced review of content before publishing, etc.  Pending changes, as a
software package, is a bit of an amalgamation of all the things the
community requested.  Unfortunately, we never agreed on what exactly it was
supposed to be.  The Foundation put plenty of resources in the product, but
we were like a focus group trying to describe the perfect product without
any concrete idea of what we were missing with the product we had.

Sad, really.

--
~Keegan

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Keegan