[Foundation-l] Foundation too passive, wasting community talent

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Tue Apr 5 08:40:42 UTC 2011

On 5 April 2011 03:02, MZMcBride <z at mzmcbride.com> wrote:

> A lot of the projects that Wikimedia is investing in today are small and
> focused on particular needs of the Wikimedia Foundation, not the Wikimedia
> community. One example might be an article feedback tool that's largely
> focused on ensuring that Wikimedia fulfills its Public Policy grant
> requirements rather than actually being a useful tool for rating and
> evaluating articles. (Imagine if you could find the most fascinating
> articles, similar to ted.com's system; now look at what Wikimedia has
> implemented.)

*cough* From 2005:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:David_Gerard/1.0

Magnus put together a quick version, but Brion didn't like the code
and it never happened. However, mine is just one such proposal.
Article rating has been a wanted feature for *years*.

What I'd like to see is article rating being more widespread. But
having a grant push it through is *just fine*, because it gets it done
at all.

- d.