[Foundation-l] Using updates in one language version of a project to prompt updates in another - was interwiki links

WereSpielChequers werespielchequers at gmail.com
Fri Apr 1 05:46:42 UTC 2011

bots to help keep articles maintained and spread new information
across Wikipedia; Yes absolutely that is what the Death anomalies
project does, and now that we've proved that the concept works it is
worth expanding on.  Merlissimo has already expanded the bot's report
from the original of "people who are alive according to your project
but dead according to another project" to various other less serious
age related biography anomalies.  The technology works, thousands of
articles in dozens of languages have been improved, and it is ready
for rollout to other sorts of maintenance scenarios.
But currently we only have seven projects requesting reports, the
Latin, Slovene, Finnish, Swedish, Gaelic, German and English language
Wikipedias, we extract data from around seventy other language
projects, so if the anomaly is because of an error in say the Italian
Wikipedia then I or someone else might well correct it. But if someone
is dead according to our French article and living according to
articles on the Chinese, Bangla and Afrikaans wikipedias then it
wouldn't currently be picked up as an anomaly as none of those
projects have yet requested a report at
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Death_anomalies_table <hint>

On the downside I'm loathe to turn this from an anomaly report to a
bot message to talkpages. Many editors don't have all unicode fonts
installed on their PCs, and the subtle message of "do not use
Wikipedia as a source, treat this as an anomaly where one of the
matched articles may have a reliable source, or may have had an
unsourced change, or may have been vandalised" in my view is safer as
a maintenance report than a bot message.

If you want more info come to Haifa and sit in on
http://wikimania2011.wikimedia.org/wiki/Submissions/cooperation_across_different_Wikipedia_languages_-_the_death_anomalies_case_study

Also I think it would be cool to have scripts/bots etc that:

Told you if anything on your watchlist had been updated on another project.

Listed articles without picture on your project that had interwiki
links to articles with pictures on other projects.

Changed the colour display of interwiki links when you looked at an
article if one of the other language versions of an article had more
recent info, more info, images or just on some fancy algorythm was
probably better than the language version you were looking at.
especially if in your user preferences you could choose which other
languages you were interested in.

But all those things would take some investment in writing. It took
the Slovene wikipedia just a few days from requesting a death anomaly
report to receiving and clearing it.

WereSpielChequers