[Foundation-l] Differences between projects with common versus highly diverse cultural backgrounds (was Re: Pending Changes)

Risker risker.wp at gmail.com
Thu Sep 30 17:23:11 UTC 2010

On 30 September 2010 04:02, Andreas Kolbe <jayen466 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Anne,
>
> Thanks for the extra perspective. The post-2007 decline in 100+ editors on
> en:WP may indeed reflect a decline in vandalism reverts.
>
> The most interesting point to me was that de:WP introduced flagged
> revisions in spring 2008, across the board, and that editor numbers appear
> to have remained completely unaffected. In de:WP, at least, overall
> participation levels did not *drop* as a result of flagged revisions.

It would be interesting to figure out if the number (or precentage) of
editors with 500+ and 1000+ edits a month has risen or declined over the
same period for these projects. I'd expect en:WP's to follow much the same
peak-and-decline as the 100+ edits, but I don't know enough about de:WP's
typical editing practices to venture a guess there.

Interestingly, one of the "selling points" of FR has been the likelihood of
increasing the editor base, presumably of editors who carry out 100+ edits a
month. The de:WP experience seems to contradict that, which I admit
surprises me.  Perhaps that is one metric to take off the table when
evaluating the effects of PC on en:WP.

Risker/Anne