[Foundation-l] Wikimedia mirrors

John Vandenberg jayvdb at gmail.com
Thu Sep 16 08:36:14 UTC 2010

On Thu, Sep 16, 2010 at 6:16 PM, George Herbert
<george.herbert at gmail.com> wrote:
> Disaster Recovery is not something the Foundation should attempt to
> crowdsource.

IIRC, it Greg Maxwell who had (some of?) the images that the
Foundation lost when a bug was rolled into production.

It is lovely that the Foundation is improving their disaster
preparedness, however the community should not depend on the
Foundation for this.  For all we know, it could be the Foundation
which becomes the disaster we never planned for.

> I recommend it be left to professionals whose job it is
> and who have prior experience in the field.  If you ...

That you offering to help the community, yea? ;-)

On Thu, Sep 16, 2010 at 6:17 PM, MZMcBride <z at mzmcbride.com> wrote:
> John Vandenberg wrote:
>> The key would be to allow the mirrors to delete their mirror when they
>> need to use their excess storage capability.  If they let us know in
>> advance that they are reclaiming the space, another organisation with
>> excess storage capability can take over.
>
> Surely I don't need to be the one to point out that another huge issue with
> mirrors is that they often replicate bad information ("John Doe is a
> rapist", etc.). The mirrors you all are talking about sound like they'd
> update fairly regularly. Some of the current (unofficial) mirrors, however,
> have a horrible tendency to import once and then linger forever.

I'm not so interested in these mirrors putting the data into a
database and publishing it onto the web.
At present I would be more interested in the dumps (.7z) being
systematically mirrored, with a commitment to make them available if
the shit ever hit the fan.

--
John Vandenberg