[Foundation-l] [Wikitech-l] Community vs. centralized development

emijrp emijrp at gmail.com
Mon Sep 13 20:14:01 UTC 2010

Hi all;

I think that Jamie has started an important topic. I don't think that WMF is
going to usurp Wikipedia and the sister projects now or in the future, but
it is statistically possible. If we want to protect us, the human knowledge
and our work of this hypothetical scenario, we need complete full dumps
frequently. But this scenario is a malicious one, and I think that there are
many more dangerous posibilities, and unfortunately, they are common.

For example, small or massive lost of data due to natural disasters,
crackers attacks, stolen passwords, hardware and software bugs, sudden crazy
sysops, and _human errors_. Is WMF ready for that?

Long time ago I searched info about that, but I only found these
links[1][2]. Recently, I have been concerned about this again. Most of the
Wiki[mp]edia projects are small, and their full backups are updated every
week[3] and they can be stored everywhere, but the largest ones like English
Wikipedia gets outdated soon[4] (now, it is +200 days old).

I don't know so much about the infrastructure and how WMF servers are
allocated around the world, so, I want to ask a simple question:

In the case of a complete disaster in the "main" servers, will WMF be able
to restore all the Wiki[mp]edia contain using backups?

We got a terrible fright when 3000 images were deleted accidentally in
2008[5] and I think that not all were recovered.

When people ask about images dump the most common reply is: "Are you going
to store 7 TB (Commons)?" I can't store that at home of course, but, I'm
sure that a few universities or entities around the world can, not only for
backup purposes, for researching too (in full resolution or thumbs).

Also, I think that we need to start mirroring Wiki[mp]edia dumps to other
servers around the globe, as the common GNU/Linux ISOs mirrors do. Also,
Library of Congress said some time ago that they are going to save a copy of
all the tweets sent to Twitter.[6] When are they going to save a copy of
Wiki[mp]edia? I hope we have learnt a bit since Library of Alexandria was
destroyed.

I don't want that an error moves us back to January 15, 2001.

Regards,
emijrp

[1] http://wikitech.wikimedia.org/view/Disaster_Recovery
[2] http://wikitech.wikimedia.org/view/Offsite_Backups