[Foundation-l] Controversial Content a feature to allow.....

David Goodman dgoodmanny at gmail.com
Thu Oct 28 04:04:32 UTC 2010

I had not realized that    Adblock Plus was aa flexible as
this--though I use it, it is only for its primary purpose, where it
seems a stable and effective program that has no detrimental
side-effects. If there is anyone who does want to prevent themselves
or the minors under  their personal care from seeing certain content,
there are much worse programs out there.

And, fortunately, to let people use it, we do not have to do anything
ourselves.  Anyone may use downstream filters who chooses--that's our
required position under the CC license.

We should describe all our images with accurate descriptors, not
emphasizing sexual descriptors any more  or less than we should
emphasize sexual content.  Then  anyone who cares to develop such
filters on whatever non-WMF site they choose can do so, according to
whatever principles they choose,  emphasizing what they will,  whether
or not compatible with our basic pillars of uncensored or NPOV.

In suggesting we host such filters, I imagine the intent is to do so
simply for single terms or words, in the hope that our single
descriptors by themselves will be sufficient. Since it is impossible
to developed filters for every conceivable combination of terms, if it
will require anything more complex, then it will probably be necessary
as a practical matter to   tailor for a particular purpose. That must
be none of our doing, for that is exactly what is inconsistent with
NPOV and not censored.

I do not think the recommendations have dealt with practical
implication such as these.  Or if they really have, and mean to apply
it to sexual content only, there's only one answer consistent with not
censored: those   who think such content controversial are free to do
what they want with it, outside the WMF.

David Goodman, Ph.D, M.L.S.