[Foundation-l] Wikimedia Foundation switching to Google Apps?

Jon Davis jdavis at wikimedia.org
Tue Oct 26 22:15:56 UTC 2010

On Tue, Oct 26, 2010 at 15:02, Federico Leva (Nemo) <nemowiki at gmail.com>wrote:

> Erik Moeller, 26/10/2010 23:01:
> > We've recommended Thunderbird in the past (with some folks sticking
> > with GMail, yours truly included), but unfortunately it doesn't meet
> > all our needs.
>
> Why?

All things considered, I like Thunderbird, but it has two main issues for
us.

#1 - No integrated & centralized calendar.
#2 - Search.  A number of people have mentioned this to me and I think it
might be the biggest single issue with Thunderbird that I've seen.  If you
have a large number of emails, search in Thunderbird works in strange ways.
It will find some emails that seem totally unrelated to your search term,
and miss the most obvious ones.  I consider myself fairly adept at
manipulating search engines into finding what I need and even I have had
serious issues finding what I want.  It's gone so far that at least one
staff that I know of took to sorting emails into folders by whom they were
received from, then color coding each "thread" differently - simply so the
user could find what they were looking for.

-Jon