[Foundation-l] The pathology informatics curriculum wiki: Harnessing the power of user-generated content

Fred Bauder fredbaud at fairpoint.net
Mon Oct 25 09:23:48 UTC 2010

Here is a medical use of Wikipedia, from Journal of Pathology Informatics:

The pathology informatics curriculum wiki: Harnessing the power of
user-generated content

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2929539/?tool=pubmed

This journal article in free online. I really like it. They don't whine
about Wikipedia, they use it, and made their own wiki, using information
from Wikipedia:

http://pathinformatics.wikispaces.com/

And encourage medical professionals to pitch in and improve Wikipedia
medical articles:

"Please get involved
We encourage contributors to (1) use the the wiki format to improve and
extend this curriculum; (2) help edit and maintain the pathology
informatics related pages in Wikipedia that are linked to this
curriculum, and (3) create new pathology informatics pages in Wikipedia
and link them to this website. In each of the lessons of the curriculum,
we highlight areas where we feel that there is need for new or updated
articles in Wikipedia relating to that topic."

Fred