[Foundation-l] Misplaced Reliance, was Re: Paid editing, was Re: Ban and moderate

Fred Bauder fredbaud at fairpoint.net
Sun Oct 24 17:03:44 UTC 2010

> On Sun, Oct 24, 2010 at 11:52 AM,  <wiki-list at phizz.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>> On 24/10/2010 14:20, Fred Bauder wrote:
>>> Taking this problem seriously, how can we mitigate misplaced reliance?
>>>

>> Well you could put a banner above every article that read "The
>> information contained on the page could well be nonsense".
>
> A better start would be to stop calling Wikipedia an encyclopedia.

We define what encyclopedia means at this point, and research has shown
that more "professional" encyclopedias also contain errors, the
difference is that you can't fix them easily.

That said, any suggestions which adequately represents the power and
utility of our product, but avoids implication of inerrancy?

Fred