[Foundation-l] chapter board seats (was: Greg Kohs and Peter Damian)

Federico Leva (Nemo) nemowiki at gmail.com
Thu Oct 21 06:39:03 UTC 2010

Thank you Phoebe for changing the subject...

> On Wed, Oct 20, 2010 at 2:12 PM, Risker <risker.wp at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Two board members (20% of the board) are elected by a tiny number of
>> representatives of chapters (the chapter representative election process is
>> very opaque). I can't find any numbers that confirm exactly how many people
>> belong to chapters, and whether or not all of their members would otherwise
>> meet the definition of "community member", but it is widely acknowledged
>> that only a small percentage of Wikimedians (i.e., those who would meet the
>> definition of "community member") are members of chapters.

http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_chapters#Existing_chapters :
chapters have 2137+ members.
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Board_elections/2009/Results/en : 2940
valid ballots.
Anyway, this is the wrong question: the right question is, if chapters
are able to select good WMF board members, with the disclaimer that as
Phoebe said we are only at the second round.

Risker, 21/10/2010 07:29:
 > I've looked around both the WMF wiki and Meta, and can't actually
find any
 > documentation of the process by which the chapters elected their two
 > representatives.  Does anyone have a link to where I might be able to
read
 > it?

http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Chapter-selected_Board_seats/Process
This is linked by the navigational templated and was linked several
times on foundation-l...

Nemo

--
Federico Leva