[Foundation-l] Please delete mo. wikipedia

George Herbert george.herbert at gmail.com
Tue Oct 5 21:11:31 UTC 2010

NPOV is good as far as it goes, but the issues of wiki naming and
language are necessarily one where positions need to be taken on some
very touchy real-world issues.

The naming of mo.wikipedia and its use of Cyrillic were particularly
unfortunate, as the Moldovan standard alphabet is Roman, the
Transnistrian is Cyrillic, the Moldovan TLD / name code is "MD" not
"MO", and we have no Transnistrian wiki that I am aware of.

Essentially - we landed in a configuration that simultaneously is as
wrong as possible, on every account, offending nearly all people on
both sides of the defacto border.  This is highly inappropriate, even
from a "We're NPOV and not here to make political statements"
standpoint.

The particular campaign of emails is ... at best unfortunate.  But we
really should do something about this eventually.

Whether that's deleting mo.wikipedia, renaming it to tr.wikipedia (or
deleting and creating a new one there), or what, I don't know.  But
we're Very Wrong right now.  We can neutrally get to Somewhat Right.

I understand (at a high level) the technical issues and staff priority
issues, etc.  But there's a difference between "low on the priority
order" and "We shouldn't fix this".

-george