[Foundation-l] Has Wikipedia changed since 2005?

Peter Damian peter.damian at btinternet.com
Sun Oct 3 17:28:56 UTC 2010

> "If you (drink and) drive you might get in a car accident.
> Therefore you should not (drink and) drive."
>
> Is that one also fallacious?  It's still missing a step "you should
> not cause yourself to get into a car accident".  But then, it also is
> different in that there is no third party imposing a punishment.

As you say it is missing a step.

"If you (drink and) drive you might get in a car accident.
*** You should not run the risk of getting in a car accident
Therefore you should not (drink and) drive."

You need to match 'ought to' or 'should', or equivalent meaning word in the
minor premiss in order to be valid.

Note I put 'run the risk of' to cover your 'might'.    Better still would be

If you (drink and) drive you run the risk of getting in a car accident
You should not run the risk of getting in a car accident
Therefore you should not (drink and) drive.

You need to match the pattern of

If A then B
B should not happen
Therefore A should not happen

The logic is quite simple.  Suppose A happens. Then from the major, B will
happen.  But from the minor, B should not happen.  Thus if A happens,
something will happen that should not happen.  Therefore A should not
happen.