[Foundation-l] Fwd: Has Wikipedia changed since 2005?

Andreas Kolbe jayen466 at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 3 12:58:02 UTC 2010

> Citing sources doesn't help because if Wikipedians don't
> like the
> sources, they want to know why we've chosen this source and
> not some
> other. No matter how canonical it is, it'll be questioned,
> because
> they don't realize it's part of the canon.

You can make an argument based on how well the source is cited. That's one of the additions that survived in [[WP:IRS]]:

"The scholarly acceptance of a source can be verified by confirming that the source has entered mainstream academic discourse, for example by checking the scholarly citations it has received in citation indexes."

German Wikipedia has a similar principle in [[WP:BLG]].

A source that has received 150 citations is more relevant to the article than one that's received 3.

Andreas