[Foundation-l] should not web server logs (of requests) be published?

Russell Nelson russnelson at gmail.com
Mon Nov 29 05:06:22 UTC 2010

The policy is very explicit. It says that logs may be kept. If you know
anything about operational requirements, you will understand that that means
that logs are not routinely kept, but may be kept in order to diagnose
problems. It's not practical to be more explicit than that. Aude has already
explained that in the usual case, the http server itself keeps no logs
(because they'd just tell ops which squids are accessing which server), and
the squids themselves discard 99.9% of all accesses.

You're not likely to get any better explanation of what happens, because
it's simply not practical or productive to keep you informed of which squids
or servers have had logging turned on. Rest assures that nobody at the WMF
cares who is accessing what page. They have more interesting problems to
solve!