[Foundation-l] should not web server logs (of requests) be published?

Erik Zachte erikzachte at infodisiac.com
Sun Nov 28 23:08:05 UTC 2010

WJhonson wrote:
> Regardless of what occurred with the AOL details, that is a "Red Herring"
> as I said, because such an event would not and could not occur with
> Wikipedia details.

> People regardless of whether or not they searched their own personal
> details within the AOL search engine... would not search their own
> personal details within the Wikipedia engine.

I think you missed my point: that lots of innocent data pieced together tell
a new story.

People may not search their name in Wikipedia (although I'm not too sure
about that, many people might want to search for their surname looking for
famous ancestors).
They may not search for local shops, but will search for their home town,
the university they attended, their favorite car brands and sports, and so
on (please show a little imagination here).

Here is just one example of an article that may invoke scrutiny of
contributors.
http://tinyurl.com/2axrcar

Erik Zachte