[Foundation-l] on fundraiser :)

Domas Mituzas midom.lists at gmail.com
Sat Nov 27 12:25:42 UTC 2010

Hello,

I did an analysis of advertisement space used on Google, Facebook and Wikipedia. I measured banners first - Wikipedia had 250k pixels (okok, my screen is large :), Google had 60k pixels, Facebook had 40k.
I applied a multiplier of 2 for Wikipedia image, because it's ability to scan your soul is epic (facebook got 1.5 multiplier for toned down logo images in their ads). Also, Wikipedia got 2x multiplier for central placement.

I tried to come up with good number of how many times those ads get shown, but it is somewhat complicated - so I will assume that Facebook and Google always show, and Wikipedia does show only 10% of the year.
I will not involve ethics or relevance argument, as I don't support 100% of WMF direction either :-)

End result - Wikipedia got score of 100, while Google and Facebook, both ads-funded companies, got 60 each.

Thats why I donated, Wikipedia obviously needs money.

Cheers,
Domas