[Foundation-l] funraising thru celebrity endorsements?

Liam Wyatt liamwyatt at gmail.com
Wed Nov 24 10:14:24 UTC 2010

Being able to serve mainspace banners specified by geolocation and/or
article category and/or language edition would open up a whole new level of
fundraising potential. That would allow you to get local celebrities (who
are otherwise not especially popular/known outside their
city/state/country/language) to provide endorsements that are quite
targeted. For example in countries where there is a very popular sport with
a local team (NFL in America, premier league in UK) you could fundraising
banners on a per-city basis with local sports stars encouraging people to
support Wikimedia. I suspect that this is something where the Chapters would
be particularly useful in contacting and negotiating with the relevant
people.

More fine-grained control over articlespace banners (with good policy about
how/who/when these should be used) would also make it much easier to run
real-world events and enable us to contact Wikip/media readers in a targeted
way (not just with geonotices served to the Watchlist, which by definition
only is able to contact existing editors).

However, I suspect that this goes in the "ideas for next year" basket.
-Liam

wittylama.com/blog
Peace, love & metadata