[Foundation-l] Photo contests in DE and NL

Ziko van Dijk zvandijk at googlemail.com
Mon Nov 22 16:36:22 UTC 2010

Hello,

A coincidence: last weekend, in Germany and the Netherlands both the
winners of photo contests were made public. In Germany the Zedler
Medaille jury gave no first and second prize, while in the Netherlands
the competition Wiki loves monuments honoured quite a number of
winners.
(In English about the Dutch gathering:
http://zikoblog.wordpress.com/2010/11/21/mini-conference-in-utrecht/ )

Maybe the Zedler criteria were not made clear enough to the
participants, I don't know. In the Dutch case, I was stunned and
positively impressed by the straight forward application of three
simple criteria: the picture had to be clear (focused etc.),
encyclopedic and beautiful.

The Dutch winner is this picture:
http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bestand:Amsterdam_-_Vijzelstraat_27-35_%28halsgevel%29.JPG
It may not meet the requirements of a purely technically or
esthetically oriented jury. But it has great encyclopedic value. It
shows the monument, a 17th century building in Amsterdam, in its
actual modern use. On the right, you see an old picture of how the
building looked like earlier. The advertisement for light bulb and the
gentlemen dressed in modern leisure related fashion fix the picture
into our modern times.

Kind regards
Ziko

--