[Foundation-l] Corporate Social Responsibility

Fred Bauder fredbaud at fairpoint.net
Fri Nov 19 14:42:31 UTC 2010

> On Fri, Nov 19, 2010 at 14:46, David Gerard <dgerard at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 19 November 2010 13:41, Abbas Mahmoud <abbasjnr at hotmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Does Wikimedia Foundation engage in Corporate Social Responsibility?
>>

>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corporate_social_responsibility
>>
>> It appears to be something for for-profit corporations to do to appear
>> less rapacious.
>>
>> It's not clear what its applicability is to a 501(c)3 charity, given
>> that you only get 501(c)3 by being of social benefit in the first
>> place.
>
> Yes, but it would be good if we would have "Social Contract", like
> Debian has: http://www.debian.org/social_contract

We are not short of similar firmly held policies, such as neutral point
of view. They are mostly written out in our policy pages. What would you
add or emphasize? Citizendium created a charter,
http://en.citizendium.org/wiki/CZ:Charter We could do the same, but it
would be an exercise in affirming policies we have already adopted either
by us or the wiki movement in general. (Some of which Citizendium rejects
in the name of control by academic authority).

Fred Bauder