[Foundation-l] Rethinking Wikibooks (was Re: PediaPress)

Andrea Zanni zanni.andrea84 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 16 21:00:47 UTC 2010

I really enjoyed reading your mail, Robert, because I could literally feel
the love you have for this project.

Quoting Amir, I too would like to share my 2 cents about this.

1 cent: I reflected a lot on some slides Eric Moeller showed us in Gdansk.
He compared sister project using some parameters, and one of them was the
"work unit":
Wikipedia has a lot of granularity, you can do little changes and they are
still effective.
Wikisource and Wikibooks have big work units (you start or edit books, not
smaller articles).
It saw a leap (everyone saw that) in the contribution on Wikisource after we
installed the Proofreading extension
and promoted widely a single "Proofreading of the Month". People started
proofreading single pages, they felt their contribution to be tangible and
useful, and this literally changed everything.
Wikisources still have a long way to do, but they are growing fast, and I
definitely believe that reducing the "work unit" was a crucial factor.

2 cent: in Italy, there is a community of high school teachers called
"Matematicamente", and last year they wrote and published a mathematical
textbook releasing it under Creative Commons. Long story short,
the founder of the project told me they tried working on Wikibooks, but the
vast majority of the teacher was not comfortable with the wiki mark-up, and
at the end of the day it had been easier to work on OpenOffice (I just let
you imagine how difficult it was for them to collaborate on a single
book...). Moreover, for that project NPOV worked as an additional obstacle,
plus all the community rules they had to face. The guy told me he still like
Wikibooks, but it did not work, mainly for the people's "wiki illiteracy".

My bests

Aubrey