[Foundation-l] PediaPress

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Sun Nov 14 20:19:39 UTC 2010

On 14 November 2010 20:13, John Vandenberg <jayvdb at gmail.com> wrote:

> iirc, the first big argument about this was the binary blobs in the
> Linux kernel.  A few good derogatory terms came out of that.

As far as I can tell there isn't a standard name for this sort of
thing (open source for marketing, proprietary poison pill) - every
time someone tries it, they come up with a new term to try to cover
for what they're doing. Then everyone realises perfectly well what
they're doing and calls it "proprietary" or "a trap."

So "proprietary with open-source wrapper" or "trap" is just fine.

- d.