[Foundation-l] PediaPress

Ting Chen wing.philopp at gmx.de
Sat Nov 13 19:59:30 UTC 2010

Hello Sarah,

I searched a little on meta and the oldest thing I found related to this
is from the Foundation Report of January 2008 [1]. So I cannot tell you
how the contract came into being. As you know, the Foundation moved in
the spring of 2008 from Florida to San Francisco and rebuilt itself
afterwards. Before the move the organisational maturity is still quite
weak. I am sure that today such contract would be handled in other ways
and the board would surely be informed.

The reason why I changed your example is exactly because I wanted to
avoid the topic of paid edit. As you know, this topic is very
controversial inside of the community. We just had a quite long thread
about this running through this list. To include that topic into this
discussion makes it only even more difficult. I recognize what MZMcBride
pointed out, that my modification is not comparable with your original
example and is also not comparable to the PediaPress case. I simply have
no good example at the hand.

May I try with another example: One of our problem was always
translation. Our movement is supposed to be a global movement, but in a
lot of cases our working language is English. A lot of very important
discussions here, on meta, in commons, are in English. Although we try
very hard to work more multilingual, but in alot of cases if someone
don't know English, he may not even able to know that a topic is just
discussed somewhere, that may have inpact on his work on our projects.
So, let's say the Virgin Ventures has a genious service that can help us
to overcome this problem. It has a magic button translate this page or
this thread, and if I hit it, Vergin Ventures can provide me, with
automatically or manually performed services, after a reasonable time, a
comprehensible translation of the discussions, so that everyone can take
part on our discussion. I really don't see any reason why the Foundation
should not handle out a contract with Vergin Ventures so that we take
get this service and at the same time Vergin Ventures can get a share as
a business model.

I know that also this example is not without flaw, as comparisons always
are. What I want to say is, if a company can provide us a service that
we really desperately need and we cannot get elsewhere, and it shares
the same value as we are, I think it is a correct decision to take that
service. I am sure this answer is maybe not satisfactory, but I hope it
can explain a little what my personal opinion is.

Greetings
Ting

[1] http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_Report,_January_2008

Ting