[Foundation-l] And if I don't understand Dutch?

Rodan Bury bury.rodan at gmail.com
Fri Nov 12 21:07:07 UTC 2010

Thanks for the quick reply. :-)

Le 12 novembre 2010 21:17, Frédéric Schütz <schutz at mathgen.ch> a écrit :

> Bank check ? This is not a bank check. What is suggested is that people
> should make an online donation using ebanking.
>
> Now, for the record, this was a specific request from the Swiss chapter.
> Last year, without accepting credit card, Wikimedia CH got the highest per
> capita donations among all chapters -- and, at the same time, we probably
> paid the lowest fees per donation among all chapters.
>
> So we specifically requested that Swiss people can pay by ebanking (or
> other ways of paying money to our bank account), since this is by far the
> most common way of donating in Switzerland (see for example www.bonheur.ch,
> one of the most well-known charities in the country -- what you see on the
> main page is a red payment slip with the account number, before any credit
> card option).

Fair enough. The french landing page
<http://www.wikimedia.ch/Donate/fr>does mention e-banking, but its
english translation <http://www.wikimedia.ch/Donate/en> doesn't. Plus, I bet
a few explanations for novices would be useful.

There is no point doing this. Broadly speaking, people want to donate to
> "Wikipedia" and anything else is confusing (and not worth doing, since the
> chapters share their revenues with the WMF anyway). A concrete example of
> problem: several people made a donation to the WMF last year, and then asked
> Wikimedia CH for a tax receipt that we were not able to provide. They were
> not happy. Allowing them to choose where their donation goes with only make
> things worse.
>
> Frédéric

I left a message at the French-speaking village
pump<http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikip%C3%A9dia:Le_Bistro/13_novembre_2010#Lev.C3.A9e_de_fonds_:_page_de_donation_pour_la_Suisse.2C_y.27a_du_boulot>,
I suggest we continue the discussion specific to the Swiss donation page
there.