[Foundation-l] What can we do? (was: Copyright terms, again)

Petr Kadlec petr.kadlec at gmail.com
Fri Nov 12 16:43:29 UTC 2010

On 11 November 2010 19:25, Milos Rancic <millosh na gmail.com> wrote:
> In relation to the intersection, I suppose that the most of Europe
> switched from 50 to 70 years after author's death during the end of
> 1990s or beginning of 2000s. It creates a gap between a couple and
> almost 10 years for works which are free according to the local
> copyright laws.

Not always. Czech Copyright Act of 2000 has switched the duration from
50 to 70 years pma, but it renewed the copyright on those works which
had fallen into the public domain because of the previous law.

The transitional provisions of the act read “[…] Where the term of
duration of these rights has expired before the date on which this Act
comes into effect, the term shall be renewed as from the date on which
this Act comes into effect for the remaining period. […]”
<http://www.wipo.int/wipolex/en/text.jsp?file_id=126153>

Maybe more states opted for such a renewal.

-- [[cs:User:Mormegil | Petr Kadlec]]