[Foundation-l] Looking for stories of readers affected by Wikipedia

Andrea Zanni zanni.andrea84 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 11 16:36:33 UTC 2010

Well, I know I'm boring, but Eco said something related to this topic.

He started the interview stating:

"I am a compulsive user of Wikipedia, also for *arthritic* reasons: the more
my back hurts, the more it costs me to get up and go to check the Treccani,
so if I may find someone's birthday on Wikipedia it's all the better."

[...]

"Of course, it's a matter of time. When I write, I consult Wikipedia 30–40
times a day, because it is really helpful. When I write, I don't remember if
someone was born in the 6th century or the 7th; or maybe how many *n's* are
in "Goldmann"... Just a few years ago, for this kind of thing you could
waste a lot of time. Nowadays, with Wikipedia and Babylon, which checks the
spelling, you can save a lot."[1]

It's not much, but one could infer that Wikipedia is useful for old famous
bestseller philosphers...

Aubrey

[1] http://it.wikinews.org/wiki/Interview_with_Umberto_Eco