[Foundation-l] Funding Sources of Medical Research, was Misplaced Reliance, was Re: Paid editing...

Fred Bauder fredbaud at fairpoint.net
Tue Nov 9 05:16:19 UTC 2010

> On 09/11/2010 01:33, Fred Bauder wrote:
>
>>> Everything that is done incorrectly because of funding is also done by
>>> those who have an intellectual  or emotional stake in the outcome
>
>> Yes, and that's where we fall down. Many of us are editors with
>> purpose.
>> They many be noble purposes, but often we ourselves have an agenda, of
>> some sort, even if only to highlight neglected truths.
>
> I'm trying to understand precisely what you mean here. Could you
> elaborate ?

I edit articles I'm interested in. That interest has a reason: it varies
from subject to subject. For example this article: "Louisiana barrier
island plan" is a debunking operation. If it weren't so ridiculous that
setting forth the facts about it is hardly believable I wouldn't have
bothered to write it. How does one express the point of view of a state
playing in the sand?

Another article I did most of, "Fort Robinson tragedy", clearly shows an
agenda to recite a tragic tale. Not NPOV at all. Nothing there about the
only good Indian is a dead Indian.

Fred