[Foundation-l] Funding Sources of Medical Research, was Misplaced Reliance, was Re: Paid editing...

FT2 ft2.wiki at gmail.com
Mon Nov 8 01:53:39 UTC 2010

I haven't heard the word "eventuate" before.

My comment addresses the plain meaning of the words - namely that if
sourcing style was followed editors would have to disclose funding sources
too. The wiki process means that editors (even grossly biased ones) are not
creators of novel views. Their edits and the article as a whole can be
derived from writings of those who did create the views included. It's the
latter whose biases, ultimately, need checking.

A wiki editor who is biased  has their edits (and the state of the article)
speak for them. The material can therefore in principle be neutrally
assessed by his/her peers without knowledge of that editor's private views
*. That's not true for the authors of the content we cite.

* - of course often that can't happen due to disruption, but in principle we
could find neutral editors for any article in any stage, who could so assess
it. So in principle this is always true even in specific cases it doesn't
happen.

FT2