[Foundation-l] Renaming "Flagged Protections"

William Pietri william at scissor.com
Mon May 24 11:24:05 UTC 2010

On 05/23/2010 07:56 PM, Alex wrote:
>> I think that fits in nicely with James Alexander's view: we can and
>> should assume that most editors have already checked their work. Not
>> against the minutiae of our rules, but against their own intent, and
>> their understanding of what constitutes an improvement to Wikipedia.
>>
>> Given that, I think double-check fits in fine, both in a very literal
>> sense and in the colloquial one. I ask people to double-check my work
>> all the time, with the implied first check always being my own.
>>
> We can assume most, but we cannot assume all. It is the ones that don't
> that we're especially concerned about. So, the revisions that get
> "double checked" are mostly the ones that don't actually need it. The
> intentionally bad edits are only getting a single check.

Sorry if I was unclear. I was speaking about the naming issue. I think
it's ok if our name for this generally assumes the happy case. The
essence of a wiki, both notionally and practically, is the assumption
that people are generally doing something good. Protection, which
focuses on the trouble a few bad actors can cause, is a big step away
from that notion. Flagged Protection moves back toward the original wiki
spirit. So I think it's fine if the name has a positive connotation.

As a bonus, expectations often drive behaviors; if you act as if people
are up to something good, they are more likely to get up to something
good. And the opposite is certainly true as well. So I think a positive
name isn't a bad thing.

Practically, yes, I agree we can't assume all edits are good; if we
were, there'd be little point to this project. As I mentioned elsewhere,
I'd eventually like to see this getting to the point where multiple
people can express an opinion on an edit. Knowing that 1 person reviewed
an edit is good; knowing that 5 people did is better.

> And of course, this raises the question, if we're assuming that most
> editors are checking their work and are trying to improve the
> encyclopedia, why do we need to double check their work? We wouldn't
> call the system "Second guess", but that's kind of what this explanation
> sounds like.

For the purposes of naming, I don't think that's an issue. Insiders will
know that not all edits are perfect, and edits and articles are getting
continuously checked over.

The main reason to put extra effort into choosing this name is for
outsiders. I'd wager that most of them still have no idea how this
works. At this point people have to accept that Wikipedia does somehow
function, but I doubt they know how or why. That on certain articles we
will review changes before they go live seems perfectly natural and very
positive to most non-Wikipedians that I've talked to about this.
Especially when you frame it in terms of BLP, which is one of the potent
forces driving the adoption of this.

William