[Foundation-l] Along with Vector, a new look for changes to the Wikipedia identity

stevertigo stvrtg at gmail.com
Fri May 14 18:14:23 UTC 2010

Jay Walsh <jwalsh at wikimedia.org> wrote:
> We've seen a lot of comments about the size of the puzzle globe, and I don't >disagree that it might benefit from being increased in size slightly.

And shrinking makes the puzzle pieces - the cornerstone of the
original winning design - ambiguous. How ambiguous? For example in a
competitor's logo, a potato shape with the
same aforementioned puzzle pieces combine optically to create the
impression of a human brain:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Uncyclopedia.png

Seriously. The classic logo clearly deliniated the puzzle pieces with
strong lines. The current appears to overemphasize the shadow in the
back of the sphere - making the "3-D" sphere look in fact flat and a
bit non-spherical /warped.

-SC