[Foundation-l] drive-by site updates

Amir E. Aharoni amir.aharoni at mail.huji.ac.il
Sun May 16 13:50:35 UTC 2010

On Sun, May 16, 2010 at 15:11, Svip <svippy at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 16 May 2010 14:06, Amir E. Aharoni <amir.aharoni at mail.huji.ac.il> wrote:
>
>> But the introduction of the new search box that practically can't
>> search, was not part of the beta and it was a complete surprise. Am i
>> badly mistaken?
>
> After my own attempts, I cannot find any issues with the search box.
> Could you describe your problems more accurately?  Or better yet, file
> a bug report about it on https://bugzilla.wikimedia.org/

In Vector, search for "begin". You'll get to the page "Begin". There's
no way to actually search Wikipedia for the word "begin" using this
search box.

There are dozens of comments about it at [[Wikipedia:User experience
feedback]] and [[Wikipedia:Village pump (technical)]].

But that's the technical side. In fact, most of the Usability team's
work has been fantastic. The problem is the decision making. IIRC,
when adding a page to the watchlist became AJAX-y two or three years
ago, it was announced to the community some time before it was enabled
- and that was a rather small change. This time, however, i don't
remember any announcement about the new search box and the collapsible
sidebar. Such an announcement would allow testing and testing would
likely prevent the worst bugs.

So please, in the future, don't test major features just in the labs.
Please allow the wide community to test them before they are deployed.

--
אָמִיר אֱלִישָׁע אַהֲרוֹנִי
Amir Elisha Aharoni

http://aharoni.wordpress.com