[Foundation-l] Along with Vector, a new look for changes to the Wikipedia identity

Austin Hair adhair at gmail.com
Thu May 13 17:29:44 UTC 2010

On Thu, May 13, 2010 at 7:11 PM, Gregory Maxwell <gmaxwell at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, May 13, 2010 at 12:43 PM, Austin Hair <adhair at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, May 13, 2010 at 6:32 PM, phoebe ayers <phoebe.wiki at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I think you missed it because it wasn't really discussed before as
>>> part of the vector update... right? I admit I didn't read all the
>>> announcements, but was this discussed/announced earlier?
>>
>> That's the point I was trying not to be a jerk about—I'd like to think
>> that I'm fairly attentive to this, particularly since the logos are a
>> special concern of mine, but I don't remember any kind of public
>> discussion or request for comments beforehand.  Now that I look at the
>> relevant wiki pages, it clearly wasn't any kind of secret, but I can't
>> help but wonder if it was deliberately not made widely known.
>
> My response to Jay's message was to post links to the two image files
> in the hope that someone else would complain, I'm really honestly
> tired of being so negative.

I laughed out loud at the crescendo of people trying not to be jerks,
finally reaching a reverse cascade of "as long as it's been said,
yeah, I was just trying to be nice before."

> I am less confident about unbalanced.  The old logo could also be said
> to be visually unbalanced and perhaps we're just used to it?

I'm sure that's part of it—the old one really does look a bit crowded,
looking at it objectively.  What makes me say "unbalanced" is, very
simply, the ratio of text to puzzle globe.  The globe just looks too
small.

> Oh well— at least we've got something to complain about and improve.

We could always go back to talking about porn on Commons.

Austin