[Foundation-l] On problems in commons

Excirial wp.excirial at gmail.com
Sun May 9 21:47:23 UTC 2010

*Please, read good. Common Sense. Do you think it´s of common sense delete
this?...*

Common sense is not
Common<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Sense#Use_common_sense>.
In the Islamic world depictions of Muhammad are considered to be highly
offensive, akin to western views on child pornography. I am not offended in
the least by images of muhammed, but other people are. By your rationale we
would have to remove every image or content that might be considered
offensive due to it being a matter of respect. It would mean that every
pornographic diagram, drawing or image would have to be removed. We would
have to remove the Muhammad category. We would have to clean our medical
pages which contain photo's of certain diseases that can be considered
gross. We would have to remove logo's from pages on secret societies as
these societies often consider those logo's "Secret". In fact, there is
little to no content that is not considered offensive by at least part of
the population.

Therefor we include relevant images as long as they are not against the law.
Images with a high level of "Offensiveness" to a large group of people
should be handled with care, but not evaded. One persons "common sense
removal" is another persons censorship. I strongly believe in the right to
choose - we should not enforce people to look at content they do not wish to
see. But equally we should not remove content merely on the basis that
someone doesn't like it.

~Excirial