[Foundation-l] Potential ICRA labels for Wikipedia

Marcus Buck me at marcusbuck.org
Sun May 9 20:42:32 UTC 2010

David Gerard hett schreven:
> On 9 May 2010 21:17, Marcus Buck <me at marcusbuck.org> wrote:
>

>> The tags applied should be clear and fact-based. So instead of tagging a
>> page as "containing pornography", which is entirely subjective, we
>> should rather tag the page as "contains a depiction of an erect penis"
>> or "contains a depiction of oral intercourse".
>>

> We can do this with the existing category system.

That is possible but it will either be hacky or we'll need to be much
more strict with our categorization (atomic categorization). I'm not
opposed though.
> The objection of the objectors will remain that the material is
> present at all. No system of categorisation will alleviate this
> concern - only actual censorship of Commons will.

That's true. But at the moment we have nothing to defend or excuse
ourselves with. If we had decent tagging we could at least say: "You
don't want your pupils to see nude people? Add rule XYZ to your school's
proxy servers and Wikipedia will be clean. You can even choose which
content should be allowed and which not."

Much better than saying: "You don't want your pupils to see nude people?
No way! No Wikipedia without dicks and titties! Except you block all of
Wikipedia..."

Our current strategy is censoring, but hiding the censorship under most
possibly vague and undefined terms like "scope".

Marcus Buck
User:Slomox