[Foundation-l] Jimbo's Sexual Image Deletions

Noein pronoein at gmail.com
Sat May 8 00:58:59 UTC 2010

This, my friends, beyond the porn debate, is an important lesson about
the vulnerability of wikipedia.
You just have to threaten or convince Mr. Wales to control or shutdown
the entire project. The whole community is powerless.
When this crisis is over, we should think about giving a stronger
autonomy to wikipedia. A project of this magnitude can no longer rest on
the shoulder of one man, depending on his good faith.
Wikipedia is making enemies (today: the prudes). One day they'll force
Mr. Wales to denature the project. Is it today? I don't know.
But don't be fooled about the appearances: the real crisis is not about
porn, but about who has control on the project and who has control on
these critical persons.

If this is an emergency situation requiring a justified, immediate,
unilateral, king-like massive action, I regret Mr. Wales didn't take the
time to explain the emergency to us.
By rush-imposing his views and decisions on people who are not out of
the debate yet, he is browbeating their inner self, ignoring their
beliefs and opinions, discarding the value of the Other. This lack of
respect and of equality of vote should be extremely well argumented and
the reasons transparently communicated.
Otherwise, trust, faith and adhesion to the WMF values dissolve.
I don't think we should let this happen.

Mr. Wales, I hope you enter reason and dialogue realms again.
 We're not idiots who can't understand strategy. And by the way, if you
pretend to calm puritan donors in a first time, then try to reconquer
the lost ground later, you just surrendered the whole project to them by
showing that you will cede before their threat.
Maybe it is time to adopt a bold secularism (morally neutral, but still
respectful of humans)?

Anyway, will I, for one, accept the situation if you don't explain?
I would oppose any person pretending to dictate non-consensually how to
handle the human knowledge: it is part of the Humanity Heritage. But
you're the founder and I'm powerless. Am I? I think many of us are
having these very questions now. Is it good for the WMF that we're
asking them? Is it the consequence of Wales' bold actions? Is the board
voluntarily ignoring our legitimate feelings ?