[Foundation-l] Copyrighted maps and Derived works from copyrighted sources.

Gerard Meijssen gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
Wed Mar 31 20:00:32 UTC 2010

Hoi,
In Wikipedia we have many subjects that have geo coordinates associated with
them. They are facts. Facts cannot be copyrighted. When these facts are
harvested by data mining Wikipedia, you do not have a derived work from what
is the origin of these facts, you have a new collection of facts and as such
people could attempt to copyright such a collection.

Such a collection however is obvious and does not require any originality.
Consequently a subsequent accumulation of facts may be slightly different
and illustrated the absurdity of claiming a copyright on such a collection.

I have been blogging about maps and Wikipedia recently, two applications
were described; a map with references to Wikipedia articles and a map with
Wikipedia articles looking for an illustration.

In my opinion is a blanket prohibition of maps based on information of
Wikipedia plain silly.
Thanks,
     GerardM

http://ultimategerardm.blogspot.com