[Foundation-l] Living Person Task Force update: Policy writing

David Goodman dgoodmanny at gmail.com
Thu Mar 18 21:34:56 UTC 2010

Since there is a fairly firm consensus that has been sustained through
repetitive challenges on the enWP  against this particular point about
the default for deletion, I wonder what the policies of the other
large Wikipedias are, to see what is the agreements of the actual
Wikipedians upon the so-called "best practice".

At the very least, there needs to be an explicit statement that makes
it very clear just what part of the policies are just a
suggestion--for "suggestions" of this sort tend to get taken for more
definitive than they may have been intended.

On 3/18/10, Keegan Peterzell <keegan.wiki at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 18, 2010 at 3:36 PM, Apoc 2400 <apoc2400 at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> > The recommendations draft
>> > is just about ready to move into finalized writing in a couple weeks
>> >

>> http://strategy.wikimedia.org/wiki/Task_force/Living_People/Drafting_pages/Recommendations_to_the_Board_of_Trustees/Draft_2
>> >

>> It look ok, but coming from enwiki most of it seems rather obvious. It
>> this
>> recommendation mostly intended for smaller wikis that may not have
>> developed
>> clear BLP rules?
>>
>> The exception is the end of the last item:
>>
>> > [...] and content is suggested to be removed if the result of a deletion
>> > debate determines that there is no consensus to keep the hosted content.
>> >
>> which appears be meant to force "no consensus means delete" onto English
>> Wikipedia. Is that correct?
>>
>> Can you tell me if any of the other items are meant to impose changes on
>> enwp?
>>
>> Btw, are there logs from the March 15 IRC meeting?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Apoc2400
>>

> Hi there.
>
> The meeting on the fifteenth didn't come together, I was busy with offline
> life last week and didn't get much work done onwiki.
>
> The recommendations are, as you say, culled from the fairly obvious.  They
> are meant as a "best practices" approach for smaller projects that have no
> local policies on living people, or are starting to develop them.  As for
> the deletion part, that's just a suggestion and won't change the face of the
> English Wikipedia's deletion policies, unless of course they decide to do so
> on their own after discussion.
>
> The idea is that we can write a global living person policy, the "light"
> version, which will serve as the default policy for projects without their
> own, and provide the framework for projects that have a policy in place  or
> are working on developing them.  The recommendations are just advice, not
> an enforceable tool.
>
> --
> ~Keegan
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Keegan