[Foundation-l] Discussion about proposal for multilingual Wikibooks

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Thu Mar 11 19:08:30 UTC 2010

Samuel Klein wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 3, 2010 at 1:21 AM, Milos Rancic wrote:
>
>> According to the Language proposal policy, Language committee may approve just a project which intends to be written in one language.
>>
> True, the language sub committee is asked to attend to details about
> specific languages; we need a similar process for deciding when to
> form a multilingual site.
>
> People are still sharply divided about whether beta wikiversity and
> oldwikisource are good ideas, based on which one they've had good
> experiences with.  We need a better view of how the new-language
> process works for them and for incubator.  My sense is that incubator
> could satisfy a lot of what people want out of Project-specific
> multilingual sites, with a few additional features.

I find for the most part that people like to compartmentalize their
knowledge based on the premise that it will somehow be easier to
understand.  Naturally, cutting out some knowledge makes it easier to
understand, and shutting out incomprehensible languages is one of the
easiest ways of doing that. But at what cost?