[Foundation-l] Texas Instruments signing key controversy

Dan Rosenthal swatjester at gmail.com
Thu Mar 4 14:08:03 UTC 2010

You've identified one of the criticisms of OCILLA/DMCA -- that it can be
easily abused by copyright holder to keep stuff offline. (This is what the
EFF is probably getting involved over). However, the proper response to that
is for the alleged infringer to request sanctions against the copyright
holder for misrepresentation. It's not the Foundation's place to get
involved, nor the proper use of their resources to second and third-guess
these decisions. They take the office action, remove whatever it is, and if
the underlying legal battle gets fought, they can then go and reverse it. So
no, there's no obligation to interject ourselves, but more importantly I
think we DO have an obligation to respect the existing legal system as well
as protect the entire project from litigation.

Dan Rosenthal