[Foundation-l] Sue Gardner, Erik Möller , William Pietri: Where is FlaggedRevisions?

Anthony wikimail at inbox.org
Tue Mar 2 17:37:22 UTC 2010

On Tue, Mar 2, 2010 at 12:16 PM, Gerard Meijssen
<gerard.meijssen at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hoi,
> Some will, the ones that don't do a reasonable job may lose their flagging
> capability or get flagged as an appreciation for the quality of their work.
> Thanks,
>     GerardM
>
> PS Please be a bit more considerate, a bit more positive ...

C'mon Gerard, I'm not going to pretend that "flagged revisions", as
currently proposed to be implemented, is going to be a magical silver
bullet, just so I can be positive and upbeat (and considerate???).  The fact
of the matter is that I am quite convinced that the current proposed
implementation of "flagged revisions" is going to help very little, and in
some instances may actually make things worse.

Yes, I realize the decision has already been made to go ahead and implement
this "feature".  And I'm hoping along with the rest of you that it gets
implemented as soon as possible.  But I'm not going to pretend it's a
particularly good idea.  I hope it gets implemented as soon as possible
because once it does maybe people can see its failure and start thinking
about some real solutions.

The ones that don't do a reasonable job may lose their flagging capability?
What's a reasonable job?  Are people *supposed* to fact-check everything
before they flag an edit?  Are they *supposed* to verify all references?
What if those references aren't available online?  Would the person who
flagged the edit about

What are we currently doing when people edit about JM Sr. lose her flagging
capability?  Would she even be admonished?  The source most likely was not
broken at the time it was added.  It wasn't a particularly good source, but
can you imagine the Wikipedia community taking away flagging privileges over
a dispute over the reliability of a source?

Is [[User:W guice]] going to be admonished for this edit (
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=West_Memphis_3&diff=336279698&oldid=334567668).
S/he made a typographical fix to the paragraph in question.  Has anyone even
found the person who added the paragraph in the first place?  Is that person
going to "lose their editing capability" for not "doing a reasonable job"?